Friday, February 01, 2008

Medved, McCain and Me -- Part 3

I was pleased to be on the Michael Medved show again today during his weekly "Open Mind Friday" segment. I have been pretty upset lately with how vitriolic, venomous and personal much of right-wing talk radio has gotten over the McCain/Romney divide. It has gotten so bad that these right-wing talk radio hosts have been practically accusing him of heresy and then they attack him personally [noting his suit and his mustache]. I wondered how Medved stays in good spirits about all this and asked him how he handles MDS--Medved Derangement Syndrome.

He was pleasant and kind and told me that his wife, Diane, helps him to decompress and turn his mind to other topics. I reminded Michael that I've seen him stand up against criticism of his colleagues like when he supported Mel Gibson in the making of "The Passion of the Christ," and he stood up for Ann Coulter when she said outrageous things about John Edwards.

I had finally come to support Fred Thompson a while ago, donated $50 for the cause, whereupon he promptly withdrew from the race. Right now, I'm not really for Mitt or McCain but not strongly opposed to either of them. I will say, however, that I'm not at all impressed with the way these professional talkers are handling the subject. That is, except for Michael Medved, who continues to be a mensch.

1 comment:

Pauli said...

Michael really is a class act.

Hearing Ralph Peters talk McCain up while he was at Grove City College last April really challenged me to take a second look at him. Then I really started coming around during McCain's push for regularization of illegals. Medved points out to the McCain detractors constantly that Bush was on the exact same page on this issue. I know I'm an odd-ball as a conservative who supports a path to citizenship, but I'm not sure I'm an oddball on this as an American.

Hey, didn't MM talk to Mike Reagan re: McCain on the air and Reagan said nice things about him? I thought I heard that. Then I just saw Reagan in Newsmax "flying the bird" at McCain, saying McCain "hated" him, etc. It's getting tiresome. I'm not "in love" with Mac and I could vote for Romney if he has a sudden revelation in which he learns what he actually believes in and wins the nomination; I just don't think McCain is another Bob Dole, a liberal "Manchurian", candidate or any of the other ridiculous epithets being hurled currently. Oh yeah, and the new slam is that he used the F-word -- so freakin' what....