Friday, January 18, 2008

Snow Duty

I took the easy way out yesterday and enjoyed a snow day. Dave and his partner decided not to open their office and that was what put me over the top in my decision to stay home. I wore my cozy flannels all day, baked muffins for breakfast, and dug into a big project in the basement that kept me up late.

Earlier this year, Dave and I concocted our annual "punch list" of major things we want to accomplish this year. One of the projects assigned to me was to clean out the filing cabinets. I come by this honest, being the anal retentive lawyer who is the daughter of a Depression Era packrat, but the sheer volume of paperwork that I have saved had gotten out of control. I weeded out old power and water bills, cable bills and credit card bills [back 20 years to my single days], old insurance policies, detritus from work and pay stubs from jobs that we held years ago.

I found some treasures, too, and they are now locateable in their proper spot. The essence of peace-with-clutter is that there is a place for everything and everything is in its place. Once those file drawers were closed, nothing appeared different. I now have a huge moving box full of documents to be shredded which should keep me busy 'til Easter. The weather gurus are calling for more snow tonight and so I might be able to continue making progress in the bowels of the cozy house.

2 comments:

reader_iam said...

With wind-chill factored in, it's supposed to feel like it's between 5 and 15 degrees below zero over the weekend.

Cozy bowels? I wish--around here, it sounds more like "freeze my a** off."

Anonymous said...

I can't get around the feeling that we humans were suppose to hibernate during the winter and just lost the memo. The snow day rule I apply for my life, if I have to dig out my car; I'm not going any where.