Monday, November 05, 2007

No Harm/No Foul

I was in a little collision today. And when I say "little," I mean just that. I inspected the rear bumper --twice!-- and couldn't detect even the smallest scratch.

Here's what happened: I was on the on-ramp to the highway-to-work this afternoon. The highway is down to one lane [why? I saw no workers, but only orange barrels] as it has been for several days. I knew not to accelerate. Unfortunately, the driver behind me didn't see the slow-down, or my brake lights until she hit me. I signalled to get off on the right, put on my hazards, and she did, too. I got out of the van and met her. She was Hispanic, spoke decent English, and looked mortified. I asked a couple times [smiling pleasantly at her] if she was alright. She said yes and asked if there were any children in the van. Nope. I looked at both my rear bumper and the front of her truck. Nothing. Nada. I didn't even offer her my name or any info. I gave her a hug and said, "Don't worry. People make mistakes all the time."

I happily went on my way to work, smelling of her very sweet perfume, thinking how badly that could have been and thanking God that it wasn't.

2 comments:

P_J said...

What a wonderfully gracious response. I bet you made her day.

And I'm glad you all weren't hurt.

AnneGero said...

Ruth Anne,
this makes me think that one's faith in the Lord and His angels watching over you is strengthened.
Mom