Sunday, July 29, 2007

How Being an Optimist Got Me Out of Philly

I'm back and have been for hours. The plane I was supposed to take has just left Philadelphia. How did I time warp ahead several hours?

It rained in Philadelphia so much that the airport stopped all flights today for a short while. [I was drenched in that downpour whilst returning my rental car. I looked silly, but it was cooling.] Weather affects all flights. I did my routine...checked in, checked my bag, went through the obligatory TSA indignity and straight to the kiosk. All flights to Greensboro were posted. Mine was delayed, but the 11:30 flight was loading.

So I thought, "Why not?"

I went to that flight's gate and waited for the harried agent. I smiled. I told her I just checked in for the next flight. Any chance I could get on this one? She told me the change fee would be $25 and that I would have to make arrangements to pick up my own bag, once it arrived on the flight after me. I saw the plane at the end of the jetway. Hmmm. Bird-in-the-hand. I agreed to her terms and she placed me on the flight [which was half-way through seating. Er, I mean the plane was half-full] and I even scored a window seat in the exit row! [She never did take my credit card and swipe it for the change fee. So that was a $25 gut check question. And the question was, "Is it worth $25 for you to leave this city two hours early?" A bargain at twice the price!] It took quite a while to get aloft as planes were backed up everywhere.

Now....if I could only get my bag. Dave already made one round-trip to arrive empty-handed. We checked online for a departure. Oh, it departed all right, but was called back. Too bad I didn't call him back en route. That plane won't be in until 11:00 p.m. as of this post. Whew! I'm glad I'm home, but want to be reunited with my possessions.

Fortunately, I have redundancies in my toiletry selection.

UPDATE: According to the airline's official website, it arrived at 11:54 p.m. About 8 hours late.

ANOTHER UPDATE: I have said luggage.

1 comment:

P_J said...

This is one of those optimization scenarios economists like to use, isn't it?

You were going to be inconvenienced on one end or the other. Better to be delayed getting your luggage at home than to be stuck in an airport for hours.

Good choice. I'm glad it worked out.