Monday, June 11, 2007

Half-Way Through "The Last King of Scotland"

Now that the TV shows I followed have gone into interminable reruns, Dave and I have a load of DVDs in our NetFlix queue. First up is last year's "The Last King of Scotland," which garnered its star, Forrest Whitaker, the Best Actor Oscar for his portrayal of Ugandan General Idi Amin. We started watching last night, but called it quits about midway through. So far, I can tell you I love Gillian Anderson [formerly of The X Files] who does, by my ears, a good British accent. Also, I can tell you that the 70s was bad-looking all the way around--bad hair, harsh colors, bad building designs. Just ick.

I'm looking forward to the last half.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

I'm interested to know what you ended up thinking of the rest of the movie. Whitaker certainly deserved his Oscar, but otherwise I found the movie so one-dimensional. Amin is a monster, rightfully portrayed, with few redeeming qualities. I didn't find it a thinker at all. I wish the movie focused more on the inner conflict of the doctor. It touches that some, I won't give anything away, but I think the main character should have been the doctor and his internal conflict, not the dictator. Would love to know more!

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

I agree with you....BTS -

My friend, Anne, and I both weren't sure we liked the movie...it was long and it was intense....

We lived the 70s and I remember how ruthless Amin was. I don't recall the doctor in the movie and his role in real life, but he was much a dork or an idiot during the movie....and I still didn't figure out why he just never walked away....

Let me know what you think about the end of the movie, too!!

Did you watch Tony Soprano, Ruth?

Peggy :)

PS - Oceans 13 was awesome and I liked Mr. Brooks, but really scary...