Last night, I was robbed at gunpoint while standing outside of a nice restaurant, in a well-lit parking lot, chatting with my friend. The whole transaction took about 20 seconds. I had a flight response and my friend had a fight response. Here's what happened:
We just had a dinner inside as part of our monthly Cheerful Givers group. Several groups of people were still lingering in the parking lot. My friend and I, however, were last. A mid-size four-door sedan rolled up to us. It contained four young black males. One spoke from the open window behind the driver's seat, "Give me your money. Give me your purse." Oh, sh!t. He's got a hoody on. I've seen this on 'The Wire.' He's up to no good. He got out of the car. I immediately noticed he was carrying a shotgun, modified with a pistol-grip. I took my purse and threw it about 5 feet from me, away from him, also and I turned and began to run to the front door of the restaurant. That's what Oprah taught me. Throw and go. He may get a shot off, but I'll take buckshot in my ass. He's not getting my face.
My friend sternly said, "No!" I stopped. No? C'mon! Let's just give them what they want and get outta' here. "No!" She repeated. "Look at me. I'm pregnant. [8 months along.] If you kill me it will be a double murder. Do you want to commit a double murder?" Someone in the car must've said to get the purse [my purse!] and go. And they sped off as silently as they had come.
~~~
I've had dozens of chances since then to retell and relive the story. It doesn't feel real still. My body knew that there was something major going on. I've been unsettled physically. I had a days' worth of stopping accounts, ordering replacements [did you know the NC DMV has online relicensing?], retrieving my old cell phone and getting it back into service. I've had a lot of emotions--your basic Elizabeth Kubler-Ross cocktail of emotions--all day. I'm exhausted.
I am having difficulty having charity for those who robbed me. I have begrudgingly prayed for them. If they needed my money enough to commit a felony, then God help them. That's as charitable as I can be. But I'm not averse to a healthy dose of earthly justice either. I feel very violated. I did not have any life-flashing-before-me type thoughts. I told David. He assured me it's because it wasn't my time. Security is illusory. My friend was heroic/crazy/inspired. Take your pick. If the thing had gone another way, I would be seeing her crowned in red in heaven from my dismal view in purgatory. And eleven children would be motherless. And two men would be left to raise them all.
This morning, Mary Jo came padding into our room in her usual morning-chipper mood. I hugged her, invited her into bed with me and kissed her baby-smooth cheek. She smelled real. I was encased in concrete gratitude. Thank you, God. Thank you for my life. Thank you for this sweet child's happy spirit and thank you for this day.
15 years ago

13 comments:
Hi.
Ruth Anne - my heart is in my throat. I can't even begin to imagine how scary that must have been. I think I would have operated on adrenaline at the time, then been absolutely spent for several days after. The stress alone must be exhausting.
I'll be praying for you - and your friend, who must be having a similar emotional response + pregnancy hormones.
God bless you. I'm so thankful you're alright.
Patti
Wow!
Glad you're okay and even starting to process this whole thing.
Holy Cow! How scarey! I've talked about your blog to my daughter - and got her hooked on it. When I told her about your post she asked me if you went Jack Bauer on them.
I'm glad all is well. Hug your babies every day.
God is good.
Ruth Anne,
Oh. What to say. How terrifying. I too am glad that you or your friend weren't shot. My gosh. I hope you will take some time off to process all this; it's not something to just fluff off. What follow up did you do with the police? I'm so glad you're physically okay.
kathie
Sip, Patty, Melinda: Thanks.
Barb: I went all "Audrey-in-post-traumatic-stress" on them. I couldn't even muster a "Chloe-with-a-taser" scowl.
Kathie: I took the day off yesterday. I went to the police station [walked right into the cliched set of the latest cop drama], told him my description which generated approximately 450 mugshots. I narrowed that down to 6, but he was not looking for process-of-elimination. He was looking for a eureka! moment. I refused. After the Duke players wrong call, I'd rather be uncomfortable than to wrongly accuse the wrong man.
I can pray for the bad guys too. It's just that my prayers are for God to do one of his Old Testament-style things and send a horde of army ants to devour the bad guys.
Good to hear y'all weren't physically harmed.
Ruth Anne,
Thank God you're all safe.
"May those that love us, love us. If they do not love us, may God turn their hearts. If He cannot turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, so we'll know them by their limping."
Ruth Anne,
What a relief that you and your friend are okay. I wouldn't second-guess either one of you; you both acted on your best instincts and here you are, alive and well.
I'm praying for your attackers, but also that they are caught in the act next time, and can't harm anyone else.
oh, my gosh. I am so glad you and your friend were not physically harmed.
Goodness, Ruth Anne, what a scare!
Glad things are okay.
I'm slow on the uptake, but I'm so glad you're okay! I would have flighted too, I'm pretty sure.
Ruth Anne,
just saw this link on Twitter. How terrifying. I'm glad you came through safely, and I hope these guys are caught before they shoot someone. -Beth in NOLA
Post a Comment