Thursday, March 29, 2007

Drilling Ceremonies

I had a visit to my dentist today to replace a filling. Amalgam? That's so last century. I have a new tooth-colored filling. My dentist is quite good--completely anal retentive, which is really good for someone with power tools in your mouth--and he was razzing his assistant to basically anticipate his every whim.

I was a little nervous going in because I haven't had a cavity filled for over 16 years and I've never had an old filling drilled out. I asked for the distracto movie ["Finding Nemo"]. I discovered that the screen made a perfect mirror of what was actually going on in my mouth. And then you saw them hand every instrument right before your eyes. There was a familiar smell--like burning hair--when he finally got past filling and hit decaying tooth. The sound is lunacy-inducing, but you can't quiet it even with earplugs. The sound is inside your skull. There's no stopping the whirring, the grinding, the scraping, the aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

3 comments:

AnneGero said...

tDr. Jahnke did a super job filling that tooth. Too bad you had to have it replaced. Better that than what I have.
Mom

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

I just had two crowns filled in this year. Thanks to flex spend money.....made a huge difference as the old fillings were cracked and ready to bust....

It really wasn't too bad...but I have had about 6 years of dental work regularly.....so...I'm not nearly so afeared...*lol*

Listen to Mom...take care of those teeth....:-)

So how was Nemo? Did they find him?

JLF said...

I've been trying to find Nemo for weeks. My daughter watchs just a few minutes of a video before naptime and it's taking forever to get to the end. I should just put her to bed, watch the rest of the movie, and be done with it!