Saturday, February 03, 2007

Date Night: Pizza and Spades

We had a double date planned tonight. Unfortunately, the sitter [this time arranged by a professional agency] failed to show. The agency owner was unavailable by phone and her message queue was full. We were S.O.L. [I reserve the right to use the nuclear option if this isn't satisfactorily resolved. Oh, yeah, my 35 hits a day will hurt.]

Dave met the couple at the predetermined restaurant and the plan changed. They brought in pizza here and we dined, dropped the kids to bed, then played the second round of the world's longest Spades game. [The first round was in 2004.]

There is nothing at all like becoming your parents, is there? I am finding that the simple things [good food, nice friends, a deck of cards] are really the most delightful. As a geometric shape, I'm quite square. But color it happy.

3 comments:

AnneGero said...

Is it so bad to become your parents? We did have lots of fun at the bridge table, even though it was sometimes like pulling teeth to get Dad to play. He would rather have been reading some historical novel, or such. He did like pizza, too.

Sissy Willis said...

A workaround. It works for me. Well done! :-)

P_J said...

Good improvising. And I agree - nothing wrong with becoming like your folks. Good friends, food to share, simple pleasures. Life is good.