Friday, January 19, 2007

Third Time is Not Charming

I have strep throat for the third time in as many months. Back on the antibiotics for me. I asked the doctor if this bode ill for me and he thought it might be symptomatic of something larger amiss. He recommends that I get well and then get a bunch of blood work done. We mulled over several things that could be causing this. I think I'll get uber-vigilant about the Purell for the time being. The fact that I have three preschool-aged walking-talking petri dishes might factor into the mix. I have just been feeling so darn good since my return to the YMCA several weeks ago that I cannot countenance something systemic and catastrophic.

Eh. It's a bad sore throat.

I'm off to bed.

5 comments:

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

I am a Howard Hughes-esque Purell freak....I started a new job in November at a health care facility where they hand the stuff out in tubs....:) I have always used it especially handling PCs and mice where people's hands and germs lie waiting to catch the unsuspecting victim. Research shows that it is highly effective in keeping people healthy.

I had to do a seminar on infection control at Mendota. The talk of MRSA and norovirus scare the stuffins outta me. Most germs are passed by hands and mouth.

Simple solution: Purell before and after eating.

End result: No colds, sore throats...but AWFUL dry hands.

For me...I'll deal with the dry hands...I like being fairly healthy during the winter months.

Another thought to you when you have strep is to take yogurt with your antibiotics. Remember that antibiotics kill everything. You need to have the "good, friendly" bacteria. Perhaps you have killed all yours off. When the dogs are on antibiotics long-term, they get yogurt with every meal.

Hope you feel better fast!!

Peggy :)

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

P.S. - Yogurt with the "live" cultures as in acedophelus...

Anonymous said...

You are fighting Strip throat, I have one that has been fighting ear infection, number 7 this week... Forget oral antibiotics, they brought out the big stuff. He had to get three shots in three days.... I hope this time it works, we are going to take Steven to ENT Doctor on the 8th, we might have to get tubes......Lets hope not..

I hope you are feeling better today, my prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

Ruth...

you could be picking it up at the ymca too...

Paul

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Paul: You may be right.

Peg and Renee: Thanks.