Wednesday, January 03, 2007

DVD Review: "Rome"

The juggernaut of HBO series just keeps going with the newest one we watched: Rome. It is set in ancient Rome, about 54 B.C. The series follows Julius Caesar, Mark Antony, Brutus, and other patricians [lots of women]; two soldiers in Caesar's army: Lucius Verenus and Titus Pullo; various slaves, foreigners and a cast of thousands.

This show is entrancing and interesting and really well done. I admit I'm not such a good student of history, but I find this show fascinating. They spared no expense to gain authenticity. The best feature by far is on the DVD called "All Roads Lead to Rome." When you turn the feature on, the show will pop up various facts about what is being seen or said at that moment. It even allows you to go to another screen to learn more. That made the viewing interesting and educational.

The standard warning applies: it's an HBO series, so they do nudity, sex and violence. And, because they're pre-Christian Romans, triple the brutality. I can hardly wait until the next season.

5 comments:

vbspurs said...

Never mind this Rome DVD. Why aren't you at my blog commenting on your fave porn DVD name??

Cheers,
Victoria

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Victoria: Ever since the Ripon College Film Society brought a classic porno film to campus [Deep Throat], I have been unable to watch, partake of, or enjoy porno. I consider it icky.

But: I did catch the movie review. Sorry you only liked half of "The Holiday"...btw, that was the half I preferred as well.

vbspurs said...

Victoria: Ever since the Ripon College Film Society brought a classic porno film to campus [Deep Throat], I have been unable to watch, partake of, or enjoy porno. I consider it icky.

Back then, they WERE kinda icky.

Not that I speak with a lot of experience, you understand (not because I'm trying to appear chaste here, but because I genuinely am not overly aroused by porn, finding it rather comical in fact).

But I've seen some truly funny "movies" with at least attempts at comedy -- like Dr. Penetration. :)

It went down better (heh).

But: I did catch the movie review. Sorry you only liked half of "The Holiday"...btw, that was the half I preferred as well.

See.

I promise you, if Cameron Diaz' role had been played by almost ANYBODY else, I might've rated the film higher.

She ruined it for me, utterly, deeply.

Cheers,
Victoria

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Victoria: I eschew pornography. I just cannot see any value in it at all. It is dehumanizing to the people depicted, it fosters nothing but lust in the viewers and is generally a bad thing. And, like you saw in the movie "Borat", it has an intensified effect on the young males who view it. Fleeting prurient thoughts might go through the transom of my mind. I don't have to welcome them in, give them terrain, and feed them for life.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for mentioning the program, Ruth Anne! Believe it or not, this s the first I've read about it and I am intrigued. I don't get HBO, though, so I guess I'll have to wait for it on Netflix. (Of course, it would help if I subscribed to Netflix first ;-)