Thursday, November 02, 2006

Rethinking Honeymoons

I subscribe to the Michael Medved website where he does a regular little podcast on his musings. Today, he was talking about a newly-married Jewish couple who were over to his home for dinner. Two days after their wedding and they weren't on a honeymoon. He went on to say that observant Jews tend to not take honeymoons. The principle is that marriage is a very public relationship and newly marrieds spend their first seven nights visiting other friends and family, thus emphasizing the community. The modern version of honeymoons--a romantic get-away for just the two--is at odds with the real nature of marriage, he instructs.

When Dave and I were married sixteen years ago, we were on active duty and the Operation Desert Shield deployment was in full swing. Dave was preparing for Ranger School and I was preparing to move to Fort Bragg. We were not able to get away. I often joke that I get my honeymoon in annual installments. Our standard advice to couples, however, has been "take a honeymoon."

I might be rethinking that longstanding advice.

4 comments:

Maria said...

It's an interesting thought and I agree that marriage is a public (though also very personal commitment).

I still say take the honeymoon right after, however. For us, the idea of a week of just the two of us WITH NO COMMITMENT was what kept us going through those last couple crazy, stressful, emotional, rollercoaster weeks. Planning a wedding involves so much time, energy, and commitment...on top of keeping up with everyday life.

Romance aside, honeymoons are a way to unwind after months of work.

So says me. :P

Kathie Brinkman said...

I agree with Navybride. I think it's very healthy for a couple to have that time alone to bond, dream, plan for their future and just have some down time. They have the rest of their lives to be with friends and family. Ideally a married couple can get away alone at least once every year (more if possible) for this same type of down time. Since our kids have arrived that's been harder for us to do and we do feel the negative effects of that lack of set apart alone time. Sorry, RA, I disagree with your observation.

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Hey, hey, Ladies: Didn't you notice my lawyerly weasel words "might be"?

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

Okay lawyerly weasel, Sis....you and your wordsmithing....*giggle*

Having been recently divorced, I hope that someday I do find that special guy and can have another honeymoon.

I'm in agreement with your friends, NB and KB.....and who knows maybe someday, I'll get the kind of honeymoon that I have dreamed of....a trip to the Caymans or Fiji!! *lol*

Bring on the romance though....that's so important in a new relationship...as well as the commitment.

Always the dreamer....

Your geekette, sis -:)