Saturday, July 15, 2006

DVD Review: "Deadwood - Season 2" "American Splendor" and "Failure to Launch"

It's rerun season and also NetFlix season. We plowed through the twelve hours of "Deadwood" [season 2] in 4 nights. We even watched the bonus reel. What a magnificent show. Well acted. Complex. Dust up your Shakespeare because the way they talk is unfamiliar to the modern ear. But stay with it, you'll catch what's happening. I cannot say enough praiseworthy things for this ensemble cast. The creator/writer/director [on many episodes] is the fellow who was originally involved in NYPD Blue. He writes about 5 minutes before the actors act. Many actors don't like to live on the theatrical edge like that. This cast, however, does. They know their characters and they collaborate well with the writer-on-the-fly. Put this at the top of your NetFlix list. Better still: queue up season one and season two together. We had forgotten some of the subleties in the hiatus. Warning: it's about violence, gambling and whores in the town of Deadwood, South Dakota, circa 1877. Really rated "R".

"American Splendor" is an odd concoction of documentary and docu-drama. It stars Paul Giamatti as Harvey Pekar, a thoroughly depressed, low-on-the-rung Everyman who writes [but does not illustrate] underground comics about his Everyman life. It is the most interesting film I've seen in a long time. It's so very different from the canned, formulaic films we know. It's strangely uplifting. Worth putting near the top of your queue.

"Failure to Launch." How can two such lovely people [Matthew McConaughy and Sarah Jessica Parker] make such an uuuhh-gly movie? Kathie Bates is, per usual, great and Terry Bradshaw shows his buttocks. Failure to launch? Dead on arrival.

3 comments:

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

I loved Failure to Launch. Terry Bradshaw was a hoot. I liked Sarah better here than in The Family Stone.

I like almost every movie I see, otherwise I wouldn't see it. But, as a single, trying-to-date woman, I can often relate to these "chick flicks." Mom should be glad I haven't moved back in. But...I don't suppose she'd want 7-10 dogs accompanying me.

*grin*

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Peg: So you grade movies on a curve where everyone starts at a 'B'.

I start with "I'm tired" and move to "I'm paying a sitter for this time" and move to "you have just wasted/enhanced my last two hours of life." It's a little tougher to be forgiving. Thank goodness for NetFlix. I pay $20 a month and see/walk out of many movies.

But I really liked "The Devil Wears Prada" this weekend. Go figure.

Peggy Gero DaValt said...

Well...if all goes well this weekend, I'm hoping to take Mom to see the Devil Wears Prada. Mary Rondou's mom will be in town and I have Madison, my 16-year old protege with me from Climax, NC. My former boss and her husband gave me a gift certificate in a sympathy card for Dad. I think it'd be appropriate to take Mom to the movie w/me.

Next on the agenda....a computer of her own....Mom that is.

I grade all movies with a B. The only one I almost walked out of was Cape Fear with DeNiro. YIKES he was wild.

My problem if I stay home to watch a movie: I fall asleep. I need the theatre experience to take it all in. Not to mention that I'm a popcorn freak!!

Perhaps it's in our blood. I seem to recall that our great-grandfather ran a movie theatre. Hmmmmm....maybe I should do that.....

Say....you bought a Tundra? That's a beastie car. Glad you don't do the commute I do. I love my 1-ton Ford Van, in prisoner green. I can haul 8Gordons.

Devil was great!! I love Anne Hathaway. She was great in the Princess Diaries. I gave that an A.