Thursday, July 27, 2006

Class Reunions: Class of 1981 and 1976

This weekend, I believe, will be my 25th high school class reunion. I shan't be there. I was just home to Wisconsin and saw many, many folks who came by to pay their respects to my dad. I hadn't even really planned to go to the reunion. I suspect that I'm probably the one in my class, however, who has had the most children since the last reunion. I was at the 20th and I was barren. As the 25th rolls around, I have three. My, but things do change. My GPA used to be the more important number.

I always share reunions with my sister Peggy. She graduated 5 years ahead of me. She, like my dad before her, makes a point of attending reunions. I remember my high school graduation coming in my Dad's 30th high school reunion time. And, of course, college reunions lined up for us, too. So this year would have been Dad's 55th high school reunion from Haddonfield High. I think Dad actually made friends with the reunion-goers; friends who wouldn't have been pals with the 100 pound weakling back in the day. He was that kind of guy.

One of my all-time favorite bloggers, James Lileks, is chronicling his journey home for his class of '76 reunion in Fargo this week. Set your meters to uber-nostalgic. Dadgum but he can write. I commend this to you. Highly.

No comments: