Tuesday, October 25, 2005

NICU Journal - October 20, 2003


Note: This is the continuation of a chronicle of the girls' NICU journey which began at their birth at 26 weeks gestation on August 31, 2003. They are alive and well today.

On October 20, 2003, I sent out the following email to family and friends:

Here's an update on the girls who are 7 weeks old today.

Annie is continuing to improve since her two surgeries this week. She moved to the nasal cannula yesterday and so far, so good. She is coming off many of her meds--blood pressure and pain--and her regular labs are looking pretty good most of the time. She's tolerating her milk and is up to 1 cc every 3 hours. As she tolerates that each time, they'll try to jump her up more quickly. She's still a little yellow from jaundice, but is looking better. That should go away as her intestines come on line and clear out her system. We're waiting for the plastic surgery folks to take another look at the leg. She shows some signs of pain when the nurses change the dressing.

Mary Jo is continuing to do her ESP [eat, sleep, poop] program and is taking bottles a few times a day with almost an ounce of milk each time. Both girls are now just a hair over 3 pounds in weight. Now that I can see their faces, I am realizing that they ARE identical. Today, I had the joy of holding Annie for the first time and Dave held Mary Jo. I'm attaching a photo of them. Mary Jo is the pink one and Annie is the pale yellow one on the right. Thanks for your continued prayers, good wishes, sacrifices and interest. God is good. Love-- Ruth Anne :)


What was happening: It was our 13th Wedding Anniversary and I got to "hold" Annie [all wrapped in bunting and still connected to many wires, IVs and probes] for the first time in her life. What a wonderful anniversary present. For a little perspective, know that one fluid ounce is about 30 ml; so Annie was getting 8 ccs a day or about a third of an ounce every day. She has since overcome that limitation.

No comments: