Sunday, September 04, 2005

NICU Journal - September 1, 2003 Late Afternoon



A weary day for me, post-op, and further wearied by the streams of people who came to visit. Zeke was safe at Aunt Terri's and I had no further worry of him. Two Catholic mom friends came to visit and see the girls. This entailed Dave taking them to the NICU down the hall, taking them through the scub room, washing well, and being buzzed into the unit by the staff. After their visit to the girls, they returned to my room. A. was on the edge of tears. She looked at me with one of those penetrating stares and said, "You are having them baptized, right?" It was almost not a question. I fluffed off something like, "Dr. M. didn't think they had to be baptized last night and I hadn't thought much more of it." She took my hand in hers, looked deeply into my eyes with tears welling in hers and said, "Please. Have them baptized."

After they left, I called Father Jude, who was "off" because of Labor Day. He assured me that I could have them baptized now and still have a full Mass with all the other rites at a later time. When he arrived at the NICU and after washing up and being buzzed in, he asked for a small bowl of warm water and an eye dropper. They didn't have one of those. I suggested a nasal suction bulb. They gave him a tiny blue one. He baptized my girls.

No comments: